You could suffer from “Missing Mother Syndrome” if you experience most of the following conditions on a regular basis. And yes, even if your mother has been physically present:
- You feel lost, out of place, and unsafe in this world
- There is an underlying sadness in your life, even if nothing is wrong
- You tend to feel lonely and depressed, especially at other people’s “Happy Family” gatherings
- You hate your body or are unsure about “being a woman (a man)”
- You have abandonment or anger issues that hurt your relationships
- You experience social stress – you either try to stay invisible,
or you have a compulsion to be in the limelight
- Any major crisis in your life, like a divorce, job loss, or bereavement, throws you right back into the painful past
- There is a lot of fear, anxiety, or even guilt and shame in your daily life
- You feel homesick without knowing where “home” is
- You are trying too hard to be happy and “perfect”
- You take rejection very personally
- You believe that everybody else gets their act together – except for you
“Missing Mother Syndrome” is not a clinically established condition.
It solely refers to my personal experience and that of women and men I have observed.
When Hope Edelman published her book “Motherless Daughters” in 1994, everyone who belonged to the secret sisterhood of women traumatized by early mother loss had a revelation: That’s exactly how I feel – and I am not alone!
Growing up without the secure presence of a loving, supportive mother implies much more than lacking a same-sex role model. It is devastating. Since the mother is the first, the basic caretaker, losing her -in a physical or emotional way- starts a nightmare of deprivation for a child. In a way, it never ends. Many negative conditions and feelings experienced later in life, may have their roots in this extremely traumatic experience: the early childhood abandonment or rejection by Mother.
Overcoming “Missing Mother Syndrome”
As a certified EFT practitioner I work with traumatic feelings and memories. EFT, a form of mindful acupressure, is not a medical or mental cure, it rather changes the underlying energy patterns of emotions. This method is natural, fast, and easy to apply even on the phone,
The benefits of this work can be:
►Releasing longstanding, haunting memories
►Releasing feelings of anxiety, hurt, anger and other intense emotions
►Feeling more peaceful and at ease
►More energy for your life’s work
►Better relationships and relationship choices
►More self-esteem and self-love
►Less chronic stress
►General emotional relief
►Increase of spiritual awareness
For a free consultation e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org